Saturday, January 2, 2010

Aloha from Hawaii!

Aloha! I'm writing this from Hawaii, which explains why I haven't posted anything in over a week. It's tough to sit down with the laptop when it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit and there are palm trees right outside my window. Also, I figured since it was Christmas, a slowdown in the posting would be OK. I see that LEAP speaker Bill Cooke has been posting here in my absence. Thanks Bill!

I haven't been following drug policy issues too closely during my vacation. However, I am aware that on Tuesday a marijuana related resolution will be introduced to the Public Works and Intergovernmental Relations committee of the Hawai'in County Council. The resolution will urge the state legislature to decriminalize marijuana. Even if it passes it will be non-binding as municipal and county councils certainly can't force a state legislature to take action. However, these kinds of resolutions are good baby steps in the sense that they keep the issue alive in the media, and also help to educate other politicians about the issue.

I will be doing some speaking engagements for LEAP towards the end of my trip. I'm also looking forward to meeting some of the folks from the Peaceful Sky Alliance (a group in Hawaii dedicated to implementing a "lowest law enforcement priority of cannabis ordinance").

I'll try to post some pictures from my trip at some point. Does anyone have any New Years resolutions they would like to share?

5 comments:

  1. Hawaii is a great place to vacation, glad you got the opportunity to go.
    New Year's Resolution? NOPE. My resoultion's are year round and that is to End Prohibition now. Enough damage has been done and I'd like to see LEAP double its efforts in 2010, as I am doubling my individual efforts to re-educate anyone I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey all, just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a Happy New Year. I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday season. Here's to a revolutionary 2010 in terms of drug policy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Peaceful Sky Alliance looks forward to welcoming you to the Big Island on Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you were able to meet with President Obama too, and set him straight on this issue. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...